Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Act 5



As the English army, lead by Malcolm and Macduff, marched to fight me, more and more men deserted my army to join the ‘true king’. The thanes and their soldiers have been joining the other side. They are determined to bring me down. They are not aware of my invincibility. Even though I believed that I would never fall, my wife and I went to Dunsinane to supervise the fortifying of the castle. I knew that it was neither loyalty nor love but fear of me that held my army together. But no matter. I will never be defeated. Messengers keep telling me of useless news of the enemy’s advancement. But I wanted news on my wife’s illness. She’s looking more ghastly every day. I could see the sadness and confusion in her eyes accompanied by tired posture that comes from lack of sleep. I hired a famous physician to look after her but he doesn’t seem to be making any progress. He told me that there was really nothing he could do about my wife. A few day passed and the English army of geese crept ever closer to my castle like a giant herd of ants. I was on the top of the battlement with Seyton when I heard the cry of a woman. Seyton left me alone to check out the commotion. While he was gone, I realized that I almost forgot what fear felt like. I used to be fearful of every dark corner of the castle, stories of ghosts and monsters. Now that I have waded through a swamp full of horrors, nothing can scare me. However, when Seyton came back with the news of my wife’s passing, I realized the meaninglessness of life. Gone like a candle light. In the end, everyone is just living to see the end. Life doesn’t mean anything but to idiots who pass down the story, full of noise and emotion. My wife has left me alone too early! Before  I could even begin to grieve over my wife’s death, a messenger came running up the stairs. I was in no mood for another report of another thane deserting me, but this one told me of something I never expected. What does he tell me? Birnam Wood is marching up to fight me! I accused him of lying, but my confidence was failing me. When I looked over the battlement, I saw the forest moving. I couldn’t believe it! Was my end finally coming? If the end is coming for me, I’ll go down like a man with sword in hand. I will never run, hide, or surrender. What was it the bloody child told me? I will never be defeated by man born of woman. But I care no more! I’m tired of living! I want to see the world plunge into chaos.

No comments:

Post a Comment